Thursday, August 19, 2010

Motivation


“Remove barriers that rob people in management and in engineering of their right to pride in workmanship. This means inter alia,(among other things) abolishment of the annual or merit rating and of management by objective, management by the numbers.” -Edward Deming, father of Total Quality Management

“Happiness is in the taste, and not in the things themselves; we are happy from possessing what we like, not from possessing what others like.” - Francois de La Rochefoucauld 17th century French writer and philosopher


At school, we are currently involved in a year –long study of quality improvement in health care. I have been to the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, to examine opportunities to help drive a transformation of care delivery. As my classmates and I sit at night in the courtyard of the Brookline Marriott, we debate what influences people in their behaviors. As leaders, we need to understand motivation, both of those we lead as well as ourselves. Is it money? Clearly, we all want to be fairly compensated for the work we do, and have the ability to provide for our families. Yet we all have employees who leave for other opportunities, despite offers of increased pay. Is money merely a way to keep score? “This year I received 4%, last year 3%, so I must be doing better.” But we know in our hearts whether our efforts are consistent with our values and abilities. More importantly, we tend to stay in jobs and relationships where we feel valued and respected. Some of the greatest influences of my own sense of self have not been my paycheck, but the connections and accomplishments I was able to achieve with others. And it is even more apparent as I am examining new opportunities professionally as well as anticipating my return to Haiti the second week in September.

Many of you know that I grew up in a working class steel town in Northeastern Ohio and was fortunate enough to attend good colleges and medical school through a combination of scholarships, loans, and work. My initial goals were to be professionally successful and financially self sufficient, to assure that my children could be raised and educated with a degree of security. I judged my success by external markers. It has only been in the last few years that I realized how right Deming was. The sense of purpose engendered by pride in your work and your life eclipses a number. And many of the most successful leaders I know, who motivate themselves and others on pride and mission, at the same time achieve remarkable financial results.


So it is with a sense of pride in the work and joy in the experience that I am looking forward to my return to Milot, as well as the next phase of my professional life. And for all of you, who are at various stages of your own journey, may you focus the light of your energy toward fulfillment.


And if you make a few extra bucks along the way, and enjoy a vacation or other great experience, so much the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment