Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Passover in the Land of Stars

It’s about 3 miles from my office at Cedars-Sinai to where I’m currently living in Beverlywood. I’ve been walking a fair amount lately, and the route is quite interesting. We border Beverly Hills and West Hollywood. As I walk south, I cross very familiar streets- Wilshire Boulevard, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Boulevard. The Four Seasons Hotel, with a statue of Marilyn Monroe, is on Doheny and I always check to see if the paparazzi are out. As I head through “The Flats” the homes are classic California Spanish, on very small lots. Garages are almost always converted to living space, so upscale cars are parked outside, along the street or on short driveways. I ‘m wearing my suit, and nod to the occasional dogwalkers or retirees out for a stroll in their jogging suits.

Crossing Olympic, the scenery changes – there are more apartments, and small businesses. The lawns, though neat, are not as groomed. Turning on Pico, I now see more men in suits and women pushing baby strollers. It is the first night of Passover and the observant community near my home are heading for Sedars. A similar scene occurs every Saturday, as families stroll to services, stopping to talk and coo over babies. The youngsters later play ball in their driveways, wearing yarmulkes that match their tennis shoes.

Last year, I celebrated Passover in a poor country, founded by slaves, one of the few Jews within 50 miles. Today I am immersed in my historic community and culture. And the economy responds to demands. It is easy to keep Kosher and live within walking distance of Temples and other activities. There was even a brisk business of portable car cleaners, who vacuumed every last bit of breadcrumbs from your interior.


We had a small Sedar. Ben and Janine invited some Wesleyan friends, and the realtor that found us the rental joined us. (Her first husband was Jewish.) We did have some Mogen David wine, but immediately deferred to a Napa Cabernet. The story of the Exodus was retold, we had some laughs, and a great meal.

Later, I was walking Chester through the neighborhood; I could glance into homes, and see families still surrounding the dining room table, with multiple generations. In some cases, the doors were open and one could hear the conversation and singing. I felt a strange sense of both connection and discomfort.

Returning home, the others were gathered around the fireplace and I sat and listened for awhile. It was the optimistic, energetic thoughts of the next generation – I remember being in their place. And I remember a promise I made to myself.

There was some Matzah left over. I found the peanut butter and cut up a scallion. The 5 star rum was still in the freezer, and I squeezed some orange juice. On the back patio it was dark, and many of the stars were obscured by the haze and lights of the city. I could still hear the crickets, as I had in Milot. In the distance, the sounds of I 10 and planes on approach to LAX. What an amazing contrast and at the same time confluence. Whether you a Christian, Jewish, Catholic, Muslim, or an agnostic, you are part of something greater. Looking both within and out, we experience the world through our communities. They may change as we gain more insight, and align with those with whom we resonate.

Two years ago, in Hartford, I never thought I’d spend Passover in Haiti, one year ago, in Milot, Los Angeles was nowhere on the radar, and next year?

As Sedar concludes we say L’shana habaha b’Yerushaliyim – next year in Jerusalem. But in reality – it is not a physical place – it is the reminder that we must all continue to evolve and strive for our goals, whether they be personal professional or spiritual.

And so for each of you, may you find your own Jerusalem and have the drive, support, and good fortune to reach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment