Thursday, May 6, 2010

Passion







We all know people who bring great energy to their work, their relationships, and their daily existence. They move forward in the face of adversity, and draw others in to follow them. When we feel passionate about a cause, we work to share that emotion. Ideally, we are able to follow our passions or reawaken those that are dormant. In my work in Haiti I was able to recapture the passion of practicing the core of medicine. Since my return, I have felt some loss and emptiness.

In many ways this is appropriate. “Passion” has as its root, “pathos” or the sense of feeling of pity or sorrow. In the classic definition (I did learn something from the nuns in Milot) “passion” is the suffering of a martyr like Jesus. This feeling can subsequently be expressed in artistic works. When we are feeling passion, we are really feeling strength and energy that magnifies an emotion.

People know I am passionate about flying and patient safety. Most recently, I had the privilege of meeting with the second year medical students prior to them starting their clinical rotation. I’ve done this every year, discussing lessons from aviation as applied to medicine. It is both fun and serious. I could see them becoming engaged in the process of recognizing where errors occur and what they could learn to be better and safer doctors. I felt that good tired at the end. Still I wondered if despite my energy and passion, any of it would stick.

Afterward, as I was getting a sandwich, I overheard one of the second years talking about the session to a fourth year who was there to orient them. “Oh yeah,” the senior said. “Maintain situational awareness.”

Passion trumps textbooks every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment