Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pride

My blogs will be brief over the next few weeks. We are in the process of downsizing, and my energies are needed elsewhere. I’ve realized that over the months, I’ve been examining human emotions in different lights. A recent experience led to these thoughts.

I was asked a question recently during an interview. “What is the one thing of which you are most proud?” I’ll share the answer later, but it caught me a bit off-guard. Pride, unlike hope, joy, and charity, can have mixed meanings. It is considered the original of the seven deadly sins, as it is seen as synonymous with hubris and the opposite of humility. One with excessive pride elevates his status in his own eyes, and can dismiss the work of others. Yet a failure to take pride in what we do leads to mediocrity and a lack of accountability. Indeed it is the sense that we have achieved that of which we are capable that leads to appropriate pride and the energy to move forward and tackle new tasks. And I also believe that pride is felt more clearly when there is struggle to achieve those self directed goals.

As I pondered the interviewer’s question, I mentally ran through my life, CV, work experiences, and bullet points on my resume. My parents were from the generation that didn’t express emotion or tell their children of their pride. I remember things that were accomplishments and made me feel good, but nothing stuck out. I was fulfilled by going to Milot, and appreciated the acknowledgment of my friends and colleagues, but didn’t feel the need to puff out my chest. If anything, I hope this blog has reflected the sense of gratitude for the opportunity. In fact, I came to recognize that you are most proud when the achievement is also a reflection of your sense of self.

I’ve published papers, been a surgeon, taught students, flown planes in instrument conditions, run marathons, and led departments. I feel fulfillment for the things that I’ve achieved, especially if it has laid the groundwork for those who follow. But my greatest source of pride has been the development of three human beings who I’ve help raise and hopefully nurture over the last 2 and a half decades. To see the kind of young adults that they’ve become, and to watch them find their cores – well, accuse me of hubris, but I have never felt such pride.

The interviewer didn't seem surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment