Monday, July 26, 2010

Constraints

We value personal freedom and the ability to make choices about how we live our lives. So I always thought of a constraint with a negative connotation. In my operations course we studied the Theory of Constraints in improving production. There are lots of interesting games to demonstrate the concept. By recognizing the constraint as a bottleneck, optimizing it, and developing parallel processes, we could increase efficiency. In our own lives, we deal with constraints that are both external and inherent. After taking my motorcycle road test, I realized that constraints can be both limits as well as a safety margin as you aim for a goal.

On the second day on the bikes, we spent time on emergency maneuvers such as weaves around an obstruction, stopping in a turn (straighten the wheel first), and close in directional changes. Cones were set up to simulate parked busses, guardrails, and curbs. We needed to stay within the lines, yet at the same time, use all the available space to complete the task safely. On my practice course reversal, I was so intent on staying far from the line, that I got too slow and too tight, and I gently dropped the bike. Having the will to get close to the edge, with adequate power, made all the difference. The only points I lost on the test were for not staying on the throttle through the curve. I had plenty of room to lean and look to the end of course, but old habits, and a bit of fear, took over. I was pretty giddy, nonetheless, to get my certificate.

The ultimate study in bottlenecks is the DMV. I went to Warwick for the “express” service. It was actually interesting to watch the rate inflow based on type of service and number of clerks. I also saw pragmatism at its best. People that could not wait any longer would give their number to someone who had a higher number, who would subsequently do the same for someone else. Even if the gain wasn’t that great, the smiles were worth it. I suppose you could start a scalping business if you got there early enough….

Now the current constraints about getting a bike involve parking, location, and a few other factors. I did get a nice e mail from my son in LA. He’s thinking about bike school and maybe a trip for us up the Pacific Coast Highway. I don’t know about you, but one of the things that keeps me going is planning trips and new experiences for the future.I can imagine the sunlight reflecting off the waves and the smell of air.

And I’ll remember the constraints of safety gear, weather limits, and my own abilities – I want to stay around for quite a few more miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment