Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day

I hope everyone is enjoying the Independence Day holiday weekend. It was quiet running through downtown and Federal Hill this morning. Along Atwells Avenue I saw American and Italian flags displayed together. I started thinking about how we as individuals and as countries struggle and sacrifice to have freedom. Although every country is somewhat different, there is a basic tenant of the desire to set one’s own destiny. Wars have been fought, primarily over economics,other times over longstanding class struggles, to achieve these freedoms. Some countries survive and prosper after conflicts, other remain unstable. In America, the 4th of July is a summertime staple with family, friends, parades, and fireworks. It gives us a moment to celebrate a nation, which despite its challenges, has endured for over 225 years.

As I watched the India Point fireworks, I looked around me. There were other displays, lighting up communities and their citizens in all directions. The music added to the experience (I’ve been humming “Stars and Stripes Forever” all morning.) I watched the Boston Pops Special and saw pictures of our servicemen. I thought about my Dad and what he experienced in World War II, my cousin who went to Viet Nam, and today’s troops, many the age of our kids, currently serving throughout the world.


I’ve spoken of Haiti’s independence in 1804 and the building of the Citadel and Palace San Souci. One day in March there was a lot of traffic on the single road to Milot. Busses and trucks were decorated; people were singing and blowing horns. Even though Haitian Independence Day is January 1, there are celebrations of freedom throughout the year. On that day, it was traditional to go to the Citadel. I found it wonderful that in the midst of a disaster, people took time to celebrate their heritage. I also learned on other interesting fact – you should eat soup on New Year’s Day in Haiti. Apparently, the French had limited soup consumption to their upper class. He who forgets the past....


A final story about a national celebration took place a few years ago when we took our kids to Italy and then Paris. I had made the travel arrangements without looking much at specific dates. When the flight from Florence landed in Paris, the airport was almost deserted, despite it being a weekday. We had a hard time finding a cab and meeting the people that were renting the apartment for the week. Then I realized it was July 14th – Bastille Day. Just as the 4th of July is another day for everyone else in the world, I assumed that July 14th would be a regular day for us. The unexpected upside was a great fireworks display. But now we were hungry. Someone said it felt a lot like Christmas Day when you were Jewish.

Some things are universal – we ate Chinese.

So as we celebrate our own independence as a country and face our challenges, it’s good to remember that all people strive for self determination. fulfillment, and connection. A recent spectral analysis of the Declaration of Independence showed that Thomas Jefferson had originally penned the word “subjects” but changed it to “citizens.” This was his statement that Americans were no longer ruled by another nation, but were part of an emerging democracy, with rights and responsibilities.

My hope is that all people have the opportunity to be both independent and an integral part of a functioning, supportive society.

No comments:

Post a Comment