Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Transitions


The recent elections in Haiti were, as expected, wrought with accusations of fraud, outbreaks of violence, and general disarray. However, despite the cholera epidemic and continued refugee issues, the citizen gathered to vote for a new president to replace Previl. His supported candidate Celestin has been seen as both a continuation of the current corruption as well as a pragmatic leader. There are 18 parties involved, and opinion poll leader Mirlande Manigat, has filed protests with 11 others regarding irregularities. American rapper Wyclef Jean, although declared ineligible to run, is in the country and calling for a rapid response to these allegations, citing the risk of violence. And we won’t see preliminary results for another week. Such is the nature of transition.

At Sacre Coeur, we continue to respond to the cholera outbreak. The uprisings in Cap have settled down and in Milot, our volunteers are beginning to return. We still need supplies, and hopefully the relative calm will allow us to bring them in. Tim Traynor, our overall technical and construction wizard is back on site, and we are ramping up the sprung building inventory project. The political climate remains uncertain, however whoever is declared the new President will have unprecedented amounts of support to try to rebuild his country. The transition will be more vocal and chaotic than in the US, but it will occur.

And my own transition also begins. Those of you who have followed my blog know that I have been on a Sabbatical from my academic surgery practice as I returned to school and looked at new options. The times in Haiti, my children growing and leaving home, as well as other experiences have brought me new perspectives on the next phase. This past year, though difficult in many ways, has been a gift. But as I looked at new job opportunities, I was able to relate the lessons learned from the past and this helped me focus on the future.

Beginning January first, I will be heading west and relocating to Los Angeles to join Cedars Sinai Medical Center. I will be involved in the clinical transformation project, Cedars Medicine, as well as serve as administrative Vice Chairman of a large and talented surgery department. I am excited about the opportunity.


Every day we see a transition from the darkness of night to light of day and I will look forward to sunsets over the Pacific. I remain hopeful that a new day will also dawn for Haiti, although if history is any guide, there may be a few storms along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment