Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Last Run with the Handsome Men

Saturday dawned cold and windy, but the sky was cloudless, and the sunlight's low angle cast long shadows over the homes and gardens of the East Side, creating Dali - like abstractions. As I turned the car down Intervale, the crew were already gathered, exchanging insults over who wasn't tough enough to wear shorts in the 30 degree weather. It seemed like any other Saturday.

But I realized it was my last run with the Handsome Men, before starting the journey to California, via Haiti.

I've described the group before - attorneys, an accountant, an English Professor, businessmen. All have long term connections to Providence, and as they welcomed me to join them 4 years ago, I didn't realize this would be more than just exercise. I would learn about the city, its politics, friendship, and about myself.

It's easy to generalize about men getting together to play or watch sports - that the posturing, the sense of confidence, and irreverance is a way to maintain the right to belong in a competitive environment. But as I would listen during the runs, I recognized that deeply seated relationships developed, even though we may not be emotive in displaying them.

This morning, I chose the route, and decided on "2 bridges" - down Elmgrove to Angell, across the river on the red bridge to East Providence, down to Broadway, then back along the East Bay Bikepath, with views of the water and the city. We would cross back on the I195 bridge, and head up Gano from India point. I wanted to watch the sunlight reflect of the buildings and the Bay, and take in the images.

We started off at an easy pace, our joints beginning to warm up and the discussions centering around the Celtics and politics. I ran past our old house on Hazard - Christmas lights were out and I was happy that the new family was settling in. The guys asked me about the job and LA. They have been a sounding board over the last year as I redirected my professional efforts. They helped me think through options and kept my perspective aligned. And they occaissionally would kick my ass if I got too introspective.

We crossed the bridge outbound and the wind was kicking up - I'm not sure I'll miss that in SoCal. Although at first we would run 5 across in the street, traffic was increasing and we stretched out into pairs. These would rearrange depending on pace and rest stops. We got our water and gels on Warren and headed up the hill on the path. I may have gone out a bit quickly, and started to lag behind. I motioned the others to go ahead, and they finished the hill, then waited. We worked our way back to the East Side, and I admired the city from the bridge. A floating duck blind with a couple of hunters passed underneath.

The unwritten rule is that once we turn back onto Elmgrove, you can pick up the pace heading for home, even if you break away from the group. I was definately slower today and expected that I would finish up well behind them. But on that day, everyone stuck together. It was only in the last quarter mile, mostly downhill, that we sprinted. I finished in the middle of the pack.

We exchanged high fives, and checked our times. "Another one in the books," Alan always says. The goodbyes weren't awkward - I had come into the group, and it was now time to move on. Handshakes, bear hugs, and good luck. We made plans for them to come to California for the 100th Bay-to-Breakers. I'd love to get back for the Blessing.

So why this story in a Blog about Haiti?

As a surgeon I was taught to be self reliant, and not show weakness. I missed out by doing that. I learned in Haiti about faith and interdependence. I learned from my colleagues at Miriam that a common vision of compassionate patient care can help overcome turf issues, and I learned from my running group, that sticking quietly together, even if you can break away on your own, is the greatest sign of acceptance and support. (And now you can kick me for being introspective.)

One more interesting event later that evening. I was with an acquaintance who said he saw me running up Elmgrove with the group on the way back. I mentioned the Handsome Men - turns out he knows a few of them, and is a runner himself. Maybe the numbers will be maintained...

I'll be checking in with you on my way to Milot later this weekend - it should be intersting. Given the current situation, we felt it prudent to fly the inventory computer equipment privately to CAP. I'll be in the right seat and hope to send you some pictures. I'm told that sunrise over the dark Atlantic is spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment